Monday, February 14, 2011

Have any leftover Valentine's Day candy?

Or are you still working through the bag? We had some leftover that I decided to find a new home, on the top of a cupcake. My candy of choice, Valentine's M&Ms. The lovely blend of pink, fuchsia, white and red chocolaty morsels that melt in your mouth and not your hand! I have proof that marketing slogan isn't true, but I will save it for another post.

As I was preparing cupcakes for a girlfriend's birthday I had the idea. Here is how it went down:

Me: "Honey, do you think that chopped up M&Ms will go with this cupcake?"
Hubby: "Umm, what, I guess."
Me: "See I am making these chocolate cupcakes and they have fuchsia frosting. It matches the M&Ms, should I use it or regular sprinkles?"
Hubby: "Well, after watching that episode of Cupcake Wars with you last night I think just about anything can go on the top of a cupcake."

It was settled...they were getting smashed! Love how my Assistant Design Consultant helps me make decisions with ease. Tee hee.

Just think of all the other cupcake decorations you can make with leftover candy:
  • Conversation Hearts
  • Heart lollipops - the sticks are just long enough for a cupcake
  • Hershey Kisses - can be baked inside the cupcake for a nice filling or an accent
  • Reese's (pieces or the new mini-cups)
  • Snickers
  • Chocolate covered cherries
You get the drift...just about anything. But I would stay away from things like Pixie Sticks or Starbursts, unless those things float your cupcake boat!

Now back to the cupcakes...a girlfriend of mine had a birthday a few weeks ago. We had a happy hour planned, but the big Texas Blizzard came and didn't leave any snow so we cancelled. Then she was sick so her birthday cupcakes turned into belated birthday cupcakes. She is a "wild child" (LOL - you know I love you Tracy) so zebra liners and fuchsia frosting were a must have. Here are her cupcakes topped with my assistant's sprinkle recommendation:


Devil's food with fuchsia buttercream and M&Ms

Up close of the M&M sprinkles. Just put them in a baggie and smash them with a rolling pin.
I am taking these to her tomorrow to celebrate. They are a surprise. So if she doesn't read this before tomorrow they still will be! LOL

Happy Baking & Happy Belated Birthday T,
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment