Saturday, August 6, 2011

DIY Cupcake Stand

My daughter's superhero themed birthday party is drawing near, and I have been trying to spread out tasks over a few weekends. This weekend I tackled the cupcake stand. I am making 4dz cupcakes so I wanted to make sure I had a stand that would hold most of them. This stand will hold about 32 cupcakes, and I plan on putting the rest on the table around the bottom tier.

To help explain the process I tried to take photos along the way, but I have to admit that I get a little clumsy when the glue gun heats up. I was often too worried about burning my hands or hot gluing something to the table. I am happy to report though that I successfully completed the stand, and I didn't need any bandaids! Oh and my table is fine. :)

Before I share the instructions, here is the final product:


Here is what you will need:
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • hot glue gun
  • 6", 8", 10", and 12" cardboard cake rounds - 2 of each size
  • 3 cans with labels removed (make sure they are the same size)
  • 2 styrofoam rounds for the "feet"
  • card stock to cover the cake rounds and "feet"
  • 5/8" ribbon to cover the cans
  • 1.5" ribbon to border the cake rounds
  • additional accents that match theme (letters, stars etc)


Here is how you do it:
  1. Trace one of each size cake round onto separate pieces of cardstock. Cut out.
  2. Glue coordinating cake rounds together. Make sure to glue the brown sides together vs the white sides.
  3. Glue cardstock to one side of the double layer cake rounds.
  4. Cut a strip of cardstock to wrap around each of the "feet". Center them on the bottom of the 12" cake round and glue.
  5. Cut 6 strips of  the 5/8" ribbon to wrap around each can. When applying start at the glue line on the can to ensure all of your seams are in the same place.
  6. Determine the center of each cake round and outline the location for the can. You should measure on the top and bottom to ensure they are stacked appropriately.
  7. Once assembled let glue sit for 5-10min. You want to ensure it is all set.
  8. Starting with the top cake round outline the edge of the round with glue and start adhering the 1.5" ribbon. Always ensure you start your seam at the back (where the can seams are). This way you can ensure none of your seams are showing when you setup the display.
  9. Create additional accents for the topper as desired.

To further accent the stand I painted a wooden letter A and fixed it to lollipop sticks. Then I attached foam glitter stars to thin wire. On the day of the party I will put these into the cupcakes on the top tier.


 Since we are doing a superhero theme we will be filling the stand with chocolate and vanilla cupcakes decorated with Spiderman, Batman, and Superman decor. I incorporated the stars and polka dots to "girl" it up a little bit! I think the style would also work for a boy's birthday.

My daugther was really excited when it was done. She kept coming in and checking on me throughout the process. Maybe she knows I am a klutz with a glue gun...

Happy Baking,
AJ

Stand adapted from the Annie's Eats blog

No comments:

Post a Comment