Thursday, September 22, 2011

Craft Break!!

I have seen so many adorable Halloween decoration ideas lately. I primarily have been purchasing items to display cupcakes on, but then I realized something... I can't display these items unless they have cupcakes on them. That presents a problem for me, and my hips! There is no way I am baking a weekly supply of cupcakes/cookies. Not that it's impossible, but my jiggly parts have their own opinion!

It was then that I realized that I needed to release my decoration needs on my house! So what if I am a few weeks early. Instead of purchasing items that were already made I decided to make some of my own decorations. One thing you should also know about me is that I have two other hobbies - glue guns and paint! :) I don't pretend to be awesome with either of them. I ALWAYS burn myself with that darn glue gun, but I have so much fun making stuff.

This week I tackled an area of my house that I am often at a loss for how to decorate - the fireplace. I normally throw nicknacks all over it and tilt my head and squit one eye and say, "yeah that looks ok."

I knew that I wanted pumpkins, something for the mantle, and a way to dress up the large mirror that hangs above it. So here is what me and my trusty sidekicks came up with:


I will start at the top and work my way down. The mirror is decorated with mirror clings from Martha Stewart. These things are AWESOME. They are smaller than the standard window clings so they are just the right size for a mirror. Oh and they remove just as easy...

The mantle was probably my most favorite part. I saw this idea on a guest blog post from House of Smiths. I changed mine up a little bit because I don't normally decorate "scary" for Halloween. I like the cute fun side of things.


This was my first time making any sort of garland/banner for my fireplace. I think this concept lends itself to all occasions. I may make another one for Thanksgiving! :)

Finally, the pumpkins!

I am all about reusing stuff so these pumpkins are fake. I wasn't about to work so hard on them and then toss them out! I painted various pictures or words on them and then accented the ones in the back to make them stand out more.

I am very pleased with how this came out, and now I can't wait to get the rest of my decorations out of the attic!

Happy Baking or Crafting,
AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment